10 Helpful Tips on Choosing Your Next Travel Adventure
Whether you are an avid, seasonal, once-a-year or once-every-few-years type of traveler, there are always careful decisions to be made when planning your next trip. No matter who you are or what type of personality you have, there is a trip for everyone out there. It is all about asking yourself the right questions and doing your research.
Some of the things I like to consider before I plan my next trip are my budget, fellow travelers, transportation, accommodations, bucket list items, food, climate and safety. Since I am used to writing about my trips, I decided to take a little shift and focus on important items to consider when you book your next vacation.
Think about the time of year:
One of the first things to consider when you start to think about your next getaway is the time of the year you will be traveling. This is HUGE when planning a trip because there are many things to take into consideration.
- Geography – It is always important to remember that the Northern and Southern Hemispheres have opposite seasons. While someone in New Jersey is enjoying a day at the beach in the summertime, someone in Argentina is all bundled up and getting cozy during their winter.
- Climate – Traveling to Northern North America during the winter is pretty cold. If you decide to travel during that time period, embrace yourself for sub-arctic temperatures and crazy snowstorms. On the other hand, monsoon and hurricane season is highly present in the tropics during the summertime; so traveling to the rainforest would leave you with pretty humid and rainy weather.
- Weather – When it comes to weather, it is always unpredictable. Obviously when you travel to the U.S. Southwest, the Middle East or Southern Europe, you are more likely to experience sunny weather; whereas in places like the United Kingdom and Pacific Northwest, you will most likely hit a rainstorm during your time there. In other parts of the world, the weather could be a hit or a miss. That is why it is always important to research the average weather of a place during the time of the year when you will be jet setting.
- Tourism – When it comes to tourism, there are definitely ways you could plan around the peak times of the year. Usually spring and fall, which are considered shoulder seasons, are the best times of the year to travel and you won’t get stuck in those awful money-hungry traps.
Know what type of environment you want:
When choosing your next big trip, it is always good to ask yourself whether you want to be near a beach, city, mountains, countryside, etc. Some of us, like myself, love being surrounded by it all and others prefer one or the other. Knowing the type of environment you want to be in when you travel is key to finding your next vacation.
Consider your fellow travelers:
One of the top factors to consider when booking a trip is the people who you will be traveling with. When you aren’t traveling solo, you have to remember to not be selfish and respect what other people want to do as well. Not everyone is a beach or city person and not all travelers have the same budget.
Do in-depth research if you are traveling solo:
When it comes to traveling solo, it is important to do a full, in-depth research project of the place you are looking to visit. Having transportation and accommodations booked in advance will make your life so much easier and knowing that you’re safe will help you sleep better at night. There are so many perks to traveling solo and one of them is being able to do everything you want on your own terms. It is important to use your independent time to educate and enjoy yourself!
Decide if you want a relaxing or adventurous vacation (or both):
Just like every traveler is different, so is every destination. Some people like to travel to relax and recoup, whereas others enjoy adventuring and being on the go. Hey, some even like both (you’re looking at her right here)! Knowing what type of activities you want to do when you are away is key to finding the right destination for you!
Come up with a budget:
It is almost impossible to plan a trip without a budget in mind. No matter what your financial situation is, you need to come up with some form of budget in order to choose the right accommodations, transportation, excursions, tours and the extras. Your budget will also depend on how long your trip lasts. Remember, the longer you stay, the more expensive a trip will cost.
Ask yourself why:
When planning a trip, it is always important to ask yourself ‘why’. Everyone travels for different reasons, but there is always a goal when someone travels. Next time you plan out your next adventure, ask yourself the below questions:
- Do you need a break from work?
- Do you want to relax?
- Do you want to have fun with friends?
- Do you want to spend time with a loved one?
- Do you want to learn new things?
- Do you want to discover yourself?
- Do you want to go on an unforgettable adventure?
- Do you want to explore a new culture?
Know what type of destination you want:
Do you want to travel off the beaten track or head to a tried and tested destination? One of the big determinants in discovering what type of destination you want to go to is knowing your preference and how well traveled you are. Remember, there are always pros and cons to both.
It is okay to not know exactly where you want to go. As I mention above, there is a trip out there for everyone! One of the best ways to find information on travel destinations is to pick up a travel magazine such as Condé Nast Traveler, Travel & Leisure, etc. or research travel blogs (such as this one right here or my personal blog)! The difference between reading a travel magazine and a travel blog is that a blogger is more likely to give you the truth about a destination and even provide his or her stories from the trip.
Choose a bucket list destination:
Some of you reading this may even have an ongoing travel bucket list and that is great! One of the easiest ways to choose a travel destination is by picking one off of your own bucket list. Now, some of you may have held that thought because of money-related matters; but it is always important to know that there are several ways to make a dream vacation budget-friendly!
Book Your Trip!
I hope this guide was a big help as you start to think about your next trip. The next step is to start booking it. Our team of professionals will help you plan the perfect itinerary and accommodations to suit your budget and travel goals.
We offer custom-designed trip packages that offer unique, authentic and memorable experiences for all! Click here to check out some of the packages we currently offer and contact us today to get your next grand adventure booked!
Email me at Taylor@SitInMySeats.com for more information.
Contact or follow Taylor Deer
- Email: Taylor@SitInMySeats.com
- Instagram: @brown.eyed.flower.child
- LinkedIn: Taylor Deer
- Facebook: Brown Eyed Flower Child
- Pinterest: Brown Eyed Flower Child